Monday 19 March 2012

Sandwich Printing

Sandwich printing is a photographic technique, that takes place in the dark room, that is created by combining two negatives into the film carrier of the enlarger and printing onto one sheet of photographic paper to create one image.
These were more experimental attempts at the sandwich printing technique, however they have turned out quite well and show both images within the final print. I now want to experiment more within the theme that I have chosen; Death. Along with the use of figures.

Image 1:

I didn't like the composition of the image above and so I used the enlarger to expand the photograph and changed the position of the paper so that the figure's head was situated more into the centre of the photograph to make a much more appealing and equal composition. The image, below, is my redone image.
Image 2:


I found that the photograph above was much too light for what I wanted and so I doubled the exposure time to make a more intense and deeper toned image to that of the former. Below is the second image produced.
Due to the fact that I used negative films, one of the images has appeared in the shadows of the other image. This occurs as a result of the shadow areas being less dense that the highlighted areas of the negatives used. The more contrast and underexposed the shadows are, the clearer the 1st negative will shine through the second.
I wanted the sandwich prints to almost seem surreal in the question of; is that a real person or spirit? However I feel that I have been able to capture this within my second images rather than that of my first attempts as the figure appears lighter and so fades more into the image itself creating that more meaningful and insightful response.

No comments:

Post a Comment